Re: How to write optimized code for an instruction set not supported by my computer?

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 7:54 AM, Mario Castelán Castro
<marioxcc.MT@yandex.com> wrote:
> [...]
> joel.rees@gmail.com writes:
>>
>> The question being begged is this -- Do you really want to use AVX
>> enough to sign the Intel agreement that you can't read unless you
>> agree to it before you read it so you can download it and read it?
>>
>> It *is* a valid question, and I can't tell you the answer to that.
>> Maybe you can't answer that question yourself yet.
>

> No, I am not willing to use Intel's proprietary tools. In an earlier message
> in the same thread I said that I avoid proprietary software. That is one of
> the reasons of why I use Debian: It is easy to avoid the proprietary
> software.

Might I suggest you question (in addition to the questions about
actual performance benefits) whether dealing with Intel's hardware
licensing is significantly less onerous than dealing with their
software licensing. Also whether you can actually escape the software
licensing if you start developing to their hardware.

AVX is a minefield.

> -----
>
> Thanks to everybody who replied. I will probably use Bochs when time comes
> to port the algorithm to AVX. Right now I am writing and perfecting it in
> portable C, to have a base result against which to compare performance and
> complexity.
>
> Regards.

This is definitely the recommended course. Also check the time spent
in conversion with the time spent in data extraction and storing, etc.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/2011/10/conspiracy-theories.html