Re: Ransomware meets Linux - on the command line!

W-e-e-e-ll-ll-ll, ...........

2015/11/12 10:47 "Lisi Reisz" <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>:

> On Thursday 12 November 2015 01:32:21 Stuart Longland wrote:
> > On 12/11/15 08:24, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > > https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/118624.aspx
> > > Comments. please - I'm not sure how to evaluate this or how to react.
> >
> > I don't see any mention of ransomware threats on that page.
>
> Wrong page - sorry.  It is clearly time I was in bed!
> https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/11/11/ransomware-meets-linux-on-the-command-line/
> Lisi

... and Sophos is a manufacturer of ...

drumroll please

... antivirus software for Linux and Unix.

Surprised?

Anyway, this is just basically old news. It's representative of the primary reasons we care about permissions. And backups, too.

(And it's part of the industry undercurrent of the technical fooferah that came to a head here this past spring, but, whatever.)

If the Sophos articles help people recognize that protecting their data is important, that's all good.

And if they sell a few (thousand) more copies of their antivirus in the process, who's to grudge it them?

Right?

(And just in case I seem to be sarcastic, I am not sure how sarcastic I am here. The world is not as simple as it used to be.)

--
Joel Rees

Computer memory is just fancy paper,
CPUs just fancy pens.