Re: Iceweasel updates

On 2015-11-03 13:59:12 +0000, Brian wrote:
> The contention is that overriding a bank security decision and altering
> the user-agent string is unwise and not to be recommended.
>
> Access to digital banking at RBS and Natwest in the UK is allowed only
> when the string "Firefox" is found. Many years ago I used to add it
> myself to what Iceweasel sent. Nowadays there is no need to do that
> because "Firefox" has been added to the user-agent in the Iceweasel
> package (bug #399633).
>
> Who is now responsible for bypassing these banks security mechanisms?

Iceweasel still advertises itself (in addition to the "Firefox" string)
and is based on Firefox, so that it does not bypass anything. The bank
can have specific rules for Iceweasel. The rules should be: accept
everything by default, deny strings known to correspond to browsers
that are no longer supported.