Re: installing/using grub-legacy

David Wright composed on 2015-11-02 08:46 (UTC-0600):

> On Mon 02 Nov 2015 at 01:14:48 (-0500), Felix Miata wrote:

>> Felix Miata composed on 2015-10-23 21:32 (UTC-0500):
>> > Apparently lack of EXT4 support in grub-legacy on Debian is multifaceted....

>> Problem continues in current incarnation of Stretch.

> Does bug #511121 not work for you? Or does its implementation
> contradict your original criterion ("In order to Keep It (multiboot)
> Stupidly Simple, most booting here is via Grub 0.97.x.").

I can't answer this. I don't build or patch binaries.

But I can say that the 0.97 versions included in Gentoo, Mageia 5 and
openSUSE Leap and Tumbleweed releases do work as expected, maybe because of
the Launchpad patch https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=511121
mentions. Since it dropped Grub Legacy, I choose to install no bootloader on
Fedora installations, and configure them using openSUSE 13.1's grub-0.97-194.
On new disks I partition in advance using Knoppix and run grub setup on a
primary partition using Knoppix's Grub Legacy.

My Wheezy, Jessie and Stretch installations have Grub2 purged, grub-legacy
installed, and grub-legacy setup run by booting openSUSE 13.1 and running its
0.97-194. But the grub-legacy shell on them is broken.

> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB_Legacy
> makes an oblique reference to ext4 without any comment, but that lack
> may be because the page is aimed at people *preserving* their legacy,
> not people making a new installation of Grub Legacy.

> It's widely reported that there's no support of Grub Legacy from
> upstream, and no new features will be added.

Maybe for this context that is a question of what "new" means. Gentoo's,
Mageia's and openSUSE's 0.97 versions have supported EXT4 since long before
Grub2 graduated from Beta (reached v2.0).

It would be nice if people didn't have to remember to not execute commands in
Debian's grub-legacy shell that cause it to hang as a result of it attempting
to read during its search processes the EXT4 filesystems on which other
distros live. It's not sufficient to avoid hanging Debian's grub-legacy shell
to install Debian to EXT3 instead of EXT4.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/