Re: Anybody know why aptitude is not installed by default in Sid?

On Sun 01 Nov 2015 at 01:02:54 +0000, Brian wrote:

> On Sun 01 Nov 2015 at 00:16:09 +0100, Javi Barroso wrote:

> > >This is a very good pointer. It doesn't explain why two different tools
> > >give different answers but it does get to the heart of the matter.
> >
> > I guess override action are done by ftp-masters when maintainer has
> > not time or interest changing some parameters
> >
> > See, for more información wiki page:
> > https://wiki.debian.org/FtpMaster/Override
>
> Thanks to you and Teemu Likonen for prodding my memory. 'apt-get update'
> does not update dpkg's database so 'dpkg --status' me gave something
> from a year ago and so the answers to the two queries were different.
>
> No overruling or overriding. And no "verifiable" fact either!
>
> Rather prosaic really. I think I'll go back to using 'dselect update'. :)

After reading the dpkg manual and more memory searching it dawned on me
that 'dpkg --status' was not a good command to get the present Priority:
state of a package in sid. Javi Barroso's link lead me to a realisation
that it is the override file which is the cause of my two different
outcomes.