Re: Fetchmail may almost be working in pop3.

Quoting David Wright (deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk):
> Quoting Martin G. McCormick (martin@server1.shellworld.net):

> > The mainlog file displays the error that
> > smtp.suddenlink.net is reporting
> >
> > 2015-07-11 06:29:26 1ZDsyD-0001Rm-PO ** martin@shellworld.net R=smarthost
> > T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP error from remote mail server after
> > MAIL FROM:<martin@suddenlink.net> SIZE=1586: host smtp.suddenlink.net
> > [208.180.40.68]: 553 Authentication is required to send mail as
> > <martin@suddenlink.net>
>
> So you're not authenticating correctly. Your password file appears to
> be ok. Do you know which authentication method they use and whether
> this varies on different ports?

I just did an experiment. Normally I send mail through the smarthost
at my domain's host, and I can use a variety of port numbers for that.
This is obviously useful when travelling as the host is always there
if there's an unblocked port.

However, at home I can send mail through my ISP's smarthost too, for
which I've always left the port at 25. But I just tried 587 and I get
almost exactly the same error message as you. I have
X=TLS1.0:RSA_AES_128_CBC_SHA1:128 probably because I force tls, and
some DN= info, and the error code is 550 5.1.0 Authentication required
(rather than 553).
I hasten to add that to my knowledge I can't authenticate with my ISP
because I don't have a username or password.

So it might be worth investigating which port you should be using,
or just try the usual ones like 25, 465, 587, 2525, and so on.

The other thing you could try is a handcrafted email, which takes
about 5 minutes, by typing the following into a bash prompt:

--------
$ echo -e -n '\0martin.m@suddenlink.net\0SECRET' | base64
aBase64stringIsEmitted=
$ openssl s_client -starttls smtp -crlf -connect smtp.suddenlink.net:587
ehlo hostname
auth plain aBase64stringIsEmitted=
mail from:martin.m@suddenlink.net
rcpt to:<martin@shellworld.net>
data
subject: testing 587 with ehlo hostname...
                                                         <--- the blank line between header and body
text of message is any other info saying what parameters you used.
.
quit
--------

Cut and paste this at the prompts, having put in your password on the
first line, and copied the resulting base64 string after auth plain.
It might be worth doing all this in a script command, as there's a big
block of garbage emitted when you enter the openssl line. Here's an
edited example of what you I see when I do this:

$ openssl s_client -starttls smtp -crlf -connect smtp.suddenlink.net:587
CONNECTED(00000003)
depth=2 C = GB, ST = Greater Manchester, L = ...

... about 80 lines of chatter ...

    Timeout   : 300 (sec)
    Verify return code: 20 (unable to get local issuer certificate)
---
250 DSN
ehlo hostname
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5
250-... various things ...
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
auth plain aBase64stringIsEmittedMisTyped=
535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: authentication failure
auth plain aBase64stringIsEmitted=
235 2.7.0 Authentication successful
mail from:martin.m@suddenlink.net
250 2.1.0 Ok
rcpt to:<martin@shellworld.net>
250 2.1.5 Ok
data
354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
subject: testing 587 with ehlo hostname...

text of message is any other info saying what parameters you used.
.
250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as B85585AE524
quit
221 2.0.0 Bye
closed
$

As you can see, if there's any problem, you see it straight away.

Cheers,
David.