Re: Fetchmail may almost be working in pop3.

Quoting Martin G. McCormick (martin@server1.shellworld.net):
> David Wright writes:
> > I don't see what the issue is. "People" with different usernames
> > send mail from this system.
>
> Correct. After looking at what I posted, it is confusing. Let's
> try again.
>
> > Do you mean /etc/mailname? What's actually in there?
>
> wb5agz.swbell.net
>
> That should never show up on the remote end because this is the
> host name that is locally defined and not on any DNS A record.

I don't think this is the root of your problem.
But, having put that there, then if you send an email with
 From: Real Name <username@wb5agz.swbell.net>
it should get rewritten by exim as
 From: Real Name <username@suddenlink.net>

In other words, if you lie about your local domainname on your system,
then you need to lie in From: too, which seems justifiable.

> 	The user ID for me on the local system is martin. The
> user ID I registered on the smarthost was martin.m since martin
> without anything else already belongs to another customer. If I
> hope to send mail through smtp.suddenlink.net, it must see
> martin.m@suddenlink.net plus the password also used to retrieve
> pop3 mail and the retrieval does work.
>
> > Do you mean the From: line in your email header? What are you typing
> > in (or what is your mail client putting there) and where are you
> > observing the changed version?
>
> 	The mainlog file displays the error that
> smtp.suddenlink.net is reporting
>
> 2015-07-11 06:29:26 1ZDsyD-0001Rm-PO ** martin@shellworld.net R=smarthost
> T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP error from remote mail server after
> MAIL FROM:<martin@suddenlink.net> SIZE=1586: host smtp.suddenlink.net
> [208.180.40.68]: 553 Authentication is required to send mail as
> <martin@suddenlink.net>

So you're not authenticating correctly. Your password file appears to
be ok. Do you know which authentication method they use and whether
this varies on different ports?

> Here are all the non-comments from update-exim4.conf.conf
>
> dc_eximconfig_configtype='satellite'

As pointed out, smarthost is more sensible.

> dc_other_hostnames=''
> dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
> dc_readhost='suddenlink.net'

See my first paragraphs above.

> dc_relay_domains=''
> dc_minimaldns='false'
> dc_relay_nets=''
> dc_smarthost='smtp.suddenlink.net::587'
> CFILEMODE='644'
> dc_use_split_config='true'
> dc_hide_mailname='true'

See my first paragraphs above.

> dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
> dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'
>
> Here are all the important parts of passwd.client except the
> password.
>
> smtp.suddenlink.net:martin.m@smtp.suddenlink.net:SECRET

One idea you might try is to let your MUA send directly. For example,
in mutt you can set something like

set smtp_url="smtp://martin.m@suddenlink.net:SECRET@smtp.suddenlink.net/"

and that way you can control the envelope settings etc without anything
getting mangled by exim. (Set non-default port numbers by having
@smtp.suddenlink.net:portnumber/ at the end.) See mutt manual 3.265.

I have used mutt's smtp in the past but it suffers from two big
disadvantages: you have to wait while large emails get sent, and you
can't send when you're not connected as there's no queue. But it might
be useful for debugging the sending process.

Cheers,
David.