Re: boot hangs when no ethernet cable is plugged in

On 2015-07-09 14:57:01 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 09.07.2015 um 14:39 schrieb Vincent Lefevre:
> > Wouldn't the right thing be to fix broken software? Software shouldn't
> > just require $network, but something more precise and/or handle error
> > conditions.
>
> Ideally yes. The reality is, that we have ~620 sysv init scripts in
> Debian which have Required-Start: $network. Indirect dependencies not
> yet accounted for.
>
> So fixing all of them would be a huge task which will take years.

OK, but anyway, keeping the allow-hotplug line and doing link
detection should be sufficient. Then, I don't see why systemd
tries to force eth0 up, because if there is no Ethernet cable,
one cannot expect eth0 to work anyway!

And I don't see why systemd tries to bring eth0 up for ifupdown users
because this is already done via LSB (/etc/init.d/networking, which
now does link detection).

I've reported a bug: