Re: Using OpenVPN client with wicd

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 13:20:35 -0400
"James P. Wallen" <jpwallen@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 07/07/2015 08:34 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > https://wiki.debian.org/OpenVPN
> >
> > Have you seen this? It doesn't contain anything particular to
> > wicd, but you could use what is there to set up a script.
> >
> > There are a few links at the bottom that might also be of
> > help.
> >
> > Petter
> >

> Thank you, Petter.
>
> I'll try following that document through to a conclusion. I
> should always remember to look at the debian.org onlin
> documentation first.
>
> However, the explanations seem to lean heavily toward explaining
> how to set up a server and a client, so I have to try to pick
> out carefully how to just do what I want to do.

I'm currently working on setting up a VPN myself, so I was just reading
that when I saw your message. It's perfect for what I want to do, but
of course it might not fit your needs. You should be able to pick out
enough from the examples given there to set up what you want, but of
course it's not a step-by-step guide.

The Arch wiki also has some useful information, you can find it at:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openvpn

It also has a few notes on connecting to a third party provider.

> I just need to connect a client to a publicly available VPN over
> which I have no control. It surprises me that I haven't seen a
> simple howto for that. Surely there are lots of people who use
> such "private VPNs" but who don't want to use network-manager.

Have you talked to the VPN provider, or looked at their site for hints
on configuration? Send their support team an email, maybe they have been
in that situation before.

If you would rather have control over the server, and depending on whom
you want to conceal your traffic from, you could consider paying for a
VPS, then setting up a VPN between that and your home or mobile devices.
One problem with that approach is that most VPS services come with
quite a limited amount of bandwidth per month, but depending on what
you want to do that may not be a big problem. I pay $10/month, and that
is for up to 2TB transfer. The VPS provider would of course be able to
snoop on your traffic, but that might be better than having your ISP
snoop, if you have a bad ISP and choose the right provider.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"