Re: Free GNU/Linux intro class for teens advice? Purchase box? Squeak/Smalltalk programming

Hi,

> I am still  not convinced that $350 will be a  major obstacle.

$350 sound quite a lot to me and buying a whole new computer for the
sake of this seems quite wasteful as well. Buying a USB key of USB
drive would be cheaper. Debian live [1] can install live systems on
USB keys and HDDs as well [2].

You could even install a real Debian system on a HDD drive.

The installation process probably won't be so easy however (which
means you might not want them to do the installation).

> The Live CDs sounds interesting, but then all configuration is lost,
> I think, when the CD is rebooted?

You can enable some form of persistence even on Debian live CDs [3] by
using a USB key or a file one of the existing (NTFS) partition.

You can use /home on a USB key as well.

Another solution is to create the partitions for you Linux system as
files on the disk of the exiting partitions. There is even a tool for
this [4]. It's going to work mush better than a VM if the computer
does not have hardware support for virtualization and enough RAM. I
used this once and the installation process was very easy.

[1] http://live.debian.net/
[2] http://live.debian.net/manual/1.x/html/ch03s03.html
[3] http://live.debian.net/manual/1.x/html/persistence.html
[4] https://wiki.debian.org/fr/DebianInstaller/Loader