Re: Logrotate failure SOLVED

On 07/07/15 09:24, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 06:16:37PM +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>> Since installing Jessie from scratch on this laptop, I'm getting a
>> nightly error message from logrotate:
>>

>> 		if [ -z "`$MYADMIN ping 2>/dev/null`" ]; then
>
> This pings mysql, if there's no response, then the following lines
> happen.
>
>> 		  # Really no mysqld or rather a missing debian-sys-maint user?
>> 		  # If this occurs and is not a error please report a bug.
>> 		  if ps cax | grep -q mysqld; then
>>  		    exit 1
>
> This looks likely to be where your error has come from. AIUI, you'll get
> to this line if mysqladmin CAN'T ping your server AND there is a mysqld
> process. There are a number of reasons for this, but I suspect the main
> one is a mis-configured /etc/mysql/debian.cnf
>
>> 		  fi
>> 		else
>> 		  $MYADMIN flush-logs
>> 		fi
>> 	endscript
>> }

Thanks for your help, Darac. Your comments helped me get to the bottom
of this.

Although I installed Jessie (with Mariadb) from scratch, I retained my
old SQL tables (of course), including the mysql passwords. This meant
that the (new) debian-sys-maint password in debian.cnf did not match the
password in the database.

I corrected the password in debian.cnf, and all seems well now.

Thanks again, Tony

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |