Re: Logrotate failure

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 06:16:37PM +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> Since installing Jessie from scratch on this laptop, I'm getting a
> nightly error message from logrotate:
>
> /etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
> error: error running shared postrotate script for '/var/log/mysql.log
> /var/log/mysql/mysql.log /var/log/mysql/mysql-slow.log
> /var/log/mysql/error.log '
> run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/logrotate exited with return code 1
>
> /etc/logrotate.d/mysql-server is unchanged from the packaged version:
>
> # - I put everything in one block and added sharedscripts, so that mysql
> gets
> #   flush-logs'd only once.
> #   Else the binary logs would automatically increase by n times every day.
> # - The error log is obsolete, messages go to syslog now.
> /var/log/mysql.log /var/log/mysql/mysql.log
> /var/log/mysql/mysql-slow.log /var/log/mysql/error.log {
> 	daily
> 	rotate 7
> 	missingok
> 	create 640 mysql adm
> 	compress
> 	sharedscripts
> 	postrotate
> 		test -x /usr/bin/mysqladmin || exit 0

The error code was 1 so, unless your system is pathologically broken,
/usr/bin/mysqladmin exists and is executable.

> 		# If this fails, check debian.conf!
> 		MYADMIN="/usr/bin/mysqladmin --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf"

So therefore, this line should work fine. (Though, as the comment says,
check that file)

> 		if [ -z "`$MYADMIN ping 2>/dev/null`" ]; then

This pings mysql, if there's no response, then the following lines
happen.

> 		  # Really no mysqld or rather a missing debian-sys-maint user?
> 		  # If this occurs and is not a error please report a bug.
> 		  if ps cax | grep -q mysqld; then
>  		    exit 1

This looks likely to be where your error has come from. AIUI, you'll get
to this line if mysqladmin CAN'T ping your server AND there is a mysqld
process. There are a number of reasons for this, but I suspect the main
one is a mis-configured /etc/mysql/debian.cnf

> 		  fi
> 		else
> 		  $MYADMIN flush-logs
> 		fi
> 	endscript
> }
>
> I actually installed mariadb, not mysql, not sure whether that matters.

If the process names are the same, the above script should still work.