Re: Re: Upgrade to Jessie freezes when Grub configuration file is being generated

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 10:48:38AM -0400, Pierre Chausse wrote:
>    Thanks for the reply,
>
>    I did a Jessie dist-upgrade but I have been on testing for sometimes so it
>    was not such a huge upgrade.
>
>    On reboot (after trying to finish the installation of grub) I get
>
>    INFO: task mount:12243 blocked for more than 120 seconds
>    "ech0 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hun_task_timeout_secs" disables this message
>    ITCO_wdt: Unexpected close, not stopping watchdog!
>    INFO: task mount:12243 blocked for more than 120 seconds
>    "ech0 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hun_task_timeout_secs" disables this message
>    INFO: task mount:12243 blocked for more than 120 seconds
>    "ech0 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hun_task_timeout_secs" disables this message
>    INFO: task mount:12243 blocked for more than 120 seconds
>    "ech0 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hun_task_timeout_secs" disables this message
>    INFO: task mount:12243 blocked for more than 120 seconds
>    "ech0 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hun_task_timeout_secs" disables this message
>    INFO: task mount:12243 blocked for more than 120 seconds
>    "ech0 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hun_task_timeout_secs" disables this message

OK. So mount is blocked (that is, it is refusing to respond to the
kernel). This probably means that the device it's trying to unmount is
not responding.

This would also explain your issue with grub-update (and os-prober).
os-prober will temporarily mount all disk devices (e.g. all partitions)
on your system in order to scan them for other operating systems. If one
of those devices is causing mount to block, then that will result in
os-prober hanging.

You should investigate which device is causing problems (os-prober will
log to syslog, which may give you an idea into how far it got before
hanging).

--
For more information, please reread.