Re: Help with ddrescue

Quoting German (gentgerman@gmail.com):
> On Tue, 12 May 2015 11:31:10 +0100
> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 12 May 2015 11:18:34 German wrote:

> > > Great. And what this work involves?

It involves taking ownership of the problem, looking round for tools
to use, trying them out, seeing if they recover your data, deciding if
you need to try other tools, how much you're prepared to pay for them,
and so on.

NTFS is a bit of a side-issue on a Debian User list, though it
flattering to be called "experts". There may be better forums to post
in if you get stuck. Grepping /var/lib/apt/lists/*Packages for ntfs
doesn't turn up a lot, as might be expected. scrounge-ntfs has already
been mentioned.

Have you googled   ntfs recovery   yet? I see both free and paid-for
tools there, and reviews of the such.

> > People have made a lot of suggestions in this thread.
>
> Just rereading the thread, couldn't find any. What tools to use and how
> to use them?

No, well, the thread kind of stalled while you were persuaded to
duplicate the drive. You asked

"What will this duplication accomplish? What advantages if I am
duplicate? After I duplicate the drive, what are my next steps?"

and to the reply, you wrote

"What will happen when I duplicate drive? Why is that failed drive is
failed and duplicated drive might be repairable? If it's duplicated, it
will be exactly the same, no? Confused.  And bad drive is physically ok
I think, it is just something wrong with file system. MTF?"

Then we had the command format to discuss:

"Where sdd is my failed drive. sdc is my spare drive. The correct
procedure will be ddrescue if=/dev/sdd1 of=/dev/sdc ?"

and later

"ddrescue /dev/sdd /dev/sdc /dev/sda2/ddrescue.log will work?"

(The answer is on the manpage, under "synopsis".)

Now you have the disk cloned. This is when the real work begins.
If you're lucky, it may go swimmingly and you'll recover lots.
It may need a lot of decisions, backtracking and so forth.
No one knows until you try. But you're going to have to read
the instructions on using those tools carefully, and follow them.

You may end up having to use tools that we don't have and in which
Debian users don't have much interest. So you really need to drive the
process forward yourself. It just requires a bit of confidence. And
remember, you're working on a copy, so there's room for mistakes.

Good luck!

Cheers,
David.