Re: Help with ddrescue

German wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > I think I read that you have one identically sized drive, yes?  I am
> > not sure where you are sitting with regards to the other suggestions.
> > But at the least I would make one good backup as soon as possible.
> > And it seems that possibly you have the capability at this time?
>
> Yes, I do have two identical 2TB drives. So, you are advising to make a
> back up. Something like ddrescue if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdY ?

Again I am not sure of the status of things with you since there have
been many good suggestions in this discussion thread.  You may be
halfway down a different path.  But yes if I were having hardware
problems I would make a backup as soon as possible.  (Actually I
already have backups all of the time.  Backups are important.)

Always use a log file with ddrescue.  If I have both of those disks
mounted on a second system with its own disks then put the logfile on
the host system.  That would be on the host system and not either the
source or target.

  ddrescue if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdY /var/tmp/rescuelogfile

If you had booted a livecd and wanted that logfile to be persistent
then mount up a USB storage device and store it there.

  ddrescue if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdY /media/usb1

Where /media/usb1 is an example of a mounted usb storage device.
Replace that string with the mount point of the usb device mounted on
your host system.

I now read that perhaps it wasn't hardware problems.  If the disk is
okay then the first thing I would do is to fsck it.  But if the disk
is having hardware problems then I would copy a backup first.

Bob