Re: Broken package can't be configured, can't be uninstalled

Mark Allums wrote:
> I have some packages that did not install correctly.  One in particular is
> giving me fits.  It can't be upgraded.  It can't be removed.  It can't be
> reinstalled.  It can't be reconfigured.  The error message states that it is
> in an inconsistent state and needs to be reinstalled before it is removed.
> But Debian has removed that version from the repository and I can't find it
> to download, even for a manual install.
>
> I need to either remove it by hand or install the new version (by hand if
> necessary), or something else, if the collective mind of the list knows a
> better solution.  How do I locate the correct version?  Until this is
> resolved, I can't update my system.
>
> Help!

Help us to help you.  Please cut and paste verbatim the entire text of
the exchange.  That way we can see both the packages involved and the
error messages produced.

If you are using a graphical tool then please get the verbatim
messages from a text window.  We need the text and not a screenshot
image.  (Never send screenshot images.)  Open a text window, become
root, and run the command there.  One of these probably:

  # apt-get upgrade
  # apt-get dist-upgrade
  # apt-get remove FOO

Where FOO is the name of the trouble package.  It will probably spew
error messages.  Cut and past the entire command plus the error
messages into the email message.

Bob