Re: Jessie: XFCE4 Desktop background stopped working

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:08:54AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> On 30 April 2015 at 04:42, Mike Kupfer <m.kupfer@acm.org> wrote:
>
> > Johann Spies wrote:
> >
> > > Since Jessie became stable, there is a flat gray background on the XFCE4
> > > desktop and I cannot change it.  My normal configuration is that XFCE4
> > > should use a list of pictures and change the background regularly
> > > (something that I don't think the other systems can do).  This is not
> > > working anymore.
> >
> > After seeing your mail, I was able to configure my background to rotate
> > through multiple images on Jessie.  When you say you are unable to
> > change from the gray background, what are the steps you are trying?  On
> > the Desktop Settings dialog, what choice is selected under "Image"
> > (right-hand side of the "Background" tab)?
> >

> I use the "Image list"  option.
>
> I have now removed .config/xfce and restarted a xfce4-session.  Now my
> background is black - and I cannot change it whatever option I try.
>
> I must add this is happening on my work laptop. On my home laptop (also
> with Jessie) I can go on as usual.
>
> I suspect there must be some other setting on my work laptop that is
> blocking the XFCE4 desktop background configuration.

I suspect this might be a bug on the upgrade process. About two weeks
ago a user whom I help had a similar complaint.

What I found out was: xfdesktop had crashed and the system was
configured to auto save sessions so it wasn't being brought up even
after restarting the system.

The solution was just:

$ xfdesktop &

Anyone else?

> Does this setting in /etc/alternatives have something to do with it:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    60 Apr 29 09:27 desktop-background ->
> /usr/share/images/desktop-base/lines-wallpaper_1920x1080.svg
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    40 Apr 29 09:27 desktop-background.xml ->
> /usr/share/images/desktop-base/lines.xml

AFAIK, xfce4 overrides many system defaults and store its config files
on ~/.config/xfce4/