Re: [Debian 8.0 Installation] Firmware files on USB stick with debian iso

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 7:11 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 01 May 2015 at 18:43:17 +0530, Avinash Sonawane wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > It is disappointing that the advice in the Installation Guide did not
>> > work for you. However, all is not lost.
>> >
>> > It was mentioned earlier that the image has a second partition which
>> > could be used for holding firmware files. Unfortunately, the space
>> > remaining on it (~30K) is probably not sufficient for even one file.
>> > So a third partition has to created and you have to realise it must
>> > start after the end of the first partition.
>>
>> I created a partition using fdisk (gparted and disks give GPT error)
>> and that too just after the first partition (ignoring the default
>> block values provided by fdisk) but the installation bumped into "No
>> kernel modules found message"(see below or read the previous message
>> in this thread)
>
> Forgetting completely about creating partitions on anything - is this
> the behaviour when you boot from a USB stick which has had only the
> DVD image put on it with dd/cat/cp?

Yes. I followed the official Debian Installation Guide which asked to
use dd. Even then gparted reported the GPT error.
"Error: The backup GPT table is not at the end of the disk, as it
should be.  This might mean that another operating system believes the
disk is smaller.  Fix, by moving the backup to the end (and removing
the old backup)?" I went along the suggested "fix" options but
couldn't create another partition. -- The very first message of this thread

--
Avinash Sonawane (RootKea)
PICT, Pune