Re: [Debian 8.0 Installation] Firmware files on USB stick with debian iso

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> It is disappointing that the advice in the Installation Guide did not
> work for you. However, all is not lost.
>
> It was mentioned earlier that the image has a second partition which
> could be used for holding firmware files. Unfortunately, the space
> remaining on it (~30K) is probably not sufficient for even one file.
> So a third partition has to created and you have to realise it must
> start after the end of the first partition.

I created a partition using fdisk (gparted and disks give GPT error)
and that too just after the first partition (ignoring the default
block values provided by fdisk) but the installation bumped into "No
kernel modules found message"(see below or read the previous message
in this thread)

> The installer will always use files in /lib/firmware. Extract the
> needed ones from a .deb and put them on the third partition.
>
> Boot. At the first screen switch to a console (ALT-F2). 'ls /dev/sdb*'
> could help identify the third partition on the USB stick.
>
> 1. Mount this partition; e.g: mount -t vfat /dev/sdc3 /mnt
>
> 2. mkdir /lib/firmware
>
> 3. cp -r /mnt/* /lib/firmware
>
> Proceed with the install.

Seeing that using single USB stick to hold Debian installation files
and firmware files was not working I used 2 different USB sticks. One
for firmware and another for Debian. But then too the installer bumped
into "No kernel modules found stage"

"No kernel modules were found. This probably is due to a mismatch
between the kernel used by this version of the installer and the
kernel version available in the archive.

If you're installing from a mirror, you can work around this problem
by choosing to install a different version of debian. The install will
probably *fail* to work if you continue without kernel modules

Continue the install without loading the kernel modules?
1) No
2) Yes"

PS - see previous message in this very thread

--
Avinash Sonawane (RootKea)
PICT, Pune