Re: [Debian 8.0 Installation] Firmware files on USB stick with debian iso

On Fri 01 May 2015 at 18:23:51 +1000, Charlie wrote:

> On Fri, 1 May 2015 09:07:44 +0100 Lisi Reisz sent:
>
> > > My advice will be : Do not try to use firmware files at the time of
> > > installation.
> >
> > I echo that!
> >
> > > In short though official Debian Installation Guide discusses about
> > > on a single USB stick, the mechanism is most probably screwed up.
> > > Hope that changes till next release.
> >
> > It's been the case for at least some years.  I have never manage to
> > persuade it to work.
>
> I have been caught a few times. With a netinstall CD. The installer
> couldn't find the wireless card.

Switch with ALT-F2 to a console and check (ls -l) /lib/firmware exists
and holds the firmware file(s) for the device. Switch consoles with
ALT-F4. Unplug the device and plug it back in. The console should
display a USB disconnect and then discovery of a new USB device with
modules and firmware loaded.

Return to the main menu and configure the network again.

> I stay the installer at that point of starting to discover the
> network, usually for the third time just in case it got it wrong the
> first and second.
>
> Download the .deb files for the hardware onto the USB stick [so easily
> written but sometimes having to drive miles down the road to a
> friends computer] point the installer to the port and allow it to load
> it/them and continue with the install.

The unofficial installer (netinst + non-free firmware) was put together
with the aim of avoiding having people drive a long way in the hot sun
or turning the house upside down looking for a network card. The choice
to use it exists.