Re: Jessie sufficiently stable for general use?

On Sun 08 Mar 2015 at 00:58:29 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> > The Wheezy point releases have no BIND9 updates so, without searching
> > further, I am unable to check that new libraries were installed. Even
> > if they were they would be from stable, which is ok.
>
> This was a recent BIND9 upgrade in Wheezy on 18 Feb 2015.
>
>   https://www.debian.org/security/2015/dsa-3162
>
> The BIND package is actually a combined set of libraries plus
> executables.  They don't have a stable API.  Therefore the entire
> bundle always needs to be updated.  The libraries have the version
> number encoded in the name.  Therefore it requires dist-upgrade in
> order to handle installing bind security releases.

Thank you for the explanation. It requires very little effort to extend
separate upgrade and dist-upgrade steps to stable so I for one will
strongly consider moving in that direction.

But what do we think about this as a procedure? [1]

  apt-get update
  apt-get -y upgrade
  aptitude -y upgrade
  apt-get -y dist-upgrade
  aptitude -y dist-upgrade
  apt-get -y autoremove

When asked about it the response was [1]:

  First apt-get upgrade does the easy upgrades.
  Then aptitude upgrade does the slightly harder upgrades (new packages).
  Then apt-get dist-upgrade does the easy dist-upgrades.
  Then aptitude dist-upgrade does the harder dist-upgrades where manual
  intervention via the GUI might be needed.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=780028