Re: Jessie sufficiently stable for general use?

On Fri 06 Mar 2015 at 18:26:46 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> > Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > > FYI: Do daily updates using dist-upgrade, instead of upgrade (or the
> > > equivalent with aptitude, if you use that). Things change quickly and
> > > sometimes majorly on the path to Stable.  You'll want to get ALL those
> > > changes -- minor and major. "Upgrade" won't do that. This is
> > > recommended by Debian.  Once Jessie is Stable, revert to "upgrade" for
> > > the most part.
> >
> > I agree with everything but the final sentence. Stable is unlikely to
> > pull in any new packages but if it does you will likely need them.
> > In other words, 'dist-upgrade' should be the norm for stable.
>
> It isn't one or the other.  You need both.  They do different things
> and for different reasons.
>
> A normal daily cycle for me on any sytem is usually this sequence.
> Note that I am using both 'etckeeper' and have backups and thefore
> have no fear of purging an /etc configuration that I might want to
> refer to again later.  Therefore I always purge instead of remove to
> keep the system clean.
>
>   1. apt-get update
>   2. apt-get upgrade
>   3. apt-get dist-upgrade
>   4. apt-get autoremove --purge
>   5. apt-get clean
>   6. reportbug --ui=text brokenpackage

[Snip]

> On a Stable sytem 99.44% of the time only 1 and 2 are needed and I
> stop there and jump to clean and then stop.  But every BIND9 security
> upgrade for example always pulls in new libraries and can't be
> upgraded in place.  Therefore after the upgrade if there are packages
> still pending then I proceed through dist-upgrade and the rest.  I
> strongly recommend using upgrade first followed by dist-upgrade.
> Hopefully reportbug is only rarely needed on Stable.

I agree with the general principal expressed in 1, 2 and 3. However, it
was stable which was the focus of my remark and we could have something
to learn from this as to how upgrades on it work.

The Wheezy point releases have no BIND9 updates so, without searching
further, I am unable to check that new libraries were installed. Even
if they were they would be from stable, which is ok.

(I hope there are no shenanagins with backports. which is not part of
a stable release).