Re: My Friends Make Fun of My UI

What I am mostly missing so far under Xfce, compared to Icewm, is a toolbar
placed at the BOTTOM of the screen. Using varifocal glasses, I have to strain
my neck badly in order to focus the Xfce toolbar at the TOP of the screen
through the LOWER area of my glasses.

The second shortcoming of Xfce is (at least by it's defaults) that little
attention seems to have been given to the convenient possibilties of the
keyboard; once your fingers know their handling, they operate independently
of your brain, and you can focus on your problems instead of being
permanently distracted by those positioning demands of your mouse.

Another exemplary feature of Icewm that I would like to find again under
Xfce, are those 3 tiny 5mm-squares(!) placed next to the digital clock
into the toolbar, showing permanently the main activities of the system,
each using specially coloured top-down rsp. bottom-up indexes:

Square One shows the load of CPU, HDD and RAM.

Square Two shows (if active) both, the sending and receiving load of LAN.

Square Three shows (if active) both, the sending and receiving load of WAN
(including modem activities).

Alltogether, they use up just 2 cm of the toolbar, yet giving instantly
a detailed insight of all important system activities - and problems.

(The main drawbck of Icewm: You don't get just pampered with all those
multimedia goodies allowing you to operate sound, video etc. without
understanding much of what's going on under the hood.)