Re: My Friends Make Fun of My UI

On 3/4/15, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 04:03:30PM -0500, Stephen R Guglielmo wrote:
>>
>> I did a bit of reading and would prefer the Gnome "Classic" interface.
>> Is there a way to install this type of "minimal" gnome without breaking
>> it too much? Is it even possible to do, or does it all depend on one
>> another?
>
> I bet you'd be pretty happy with XFCE.

Xfce is another something I LOVE these days. Comfortable look to it.
Was easy enough to download via dialup. Everything has worked as
expected on unstable Sid. Recently printscreened a bunch of open
programs then shared with friends to show how unscary and actually
very familiar Linux/Debian can be.

I debated between Xfce and LXDE before choosing Xfce. SEEMS LIKE Xfce
was smaller for me to download for *some reason*. Could have been that
comparing screenshots of both helped with the decision, too, I don't
know. Well, that and I had already had a pleasant experience with Xfce
k/t the Snowlinux 4 distribution.

If you go the Xfce route, there's also Xfce Goodies that plugs in a
few extra things:

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/xfce4-goodies

NOTE: That's purely for example since people are more and more moving
to Jessie from what I'm seeing. Just exchange your distribution (e.g.
wheezy or sid) with "jessie" in that link and you'll be taken to what
you need..

It *was* "xfce4-goodies" as the package name for me. Only noting that
because there's a brand new release, Xfce 4.12, out. I'm a-suming it
should still be xfce4-goodies based on that. At this point that was
just noise because I'm still seeing xfce4 4.10.1 and xfce4-goodies
4.10 there at Debian for both Jessie and Sid.

Good luck, whatever route you ultimately go!

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* Are we there yet? *