Re: Unable to join the Debian User Forum; appears that all IPs are being black-listed.

Hi Wayne,

Wayne Hartell wrote:
> Thanks. I'm sure to violate some conventions here in reply format or what
> have you. Just let me know if I do and I'll try to remedy in future.

I see you have already exchanged mail concerning one of those
things. :-) There are 2,000+ subscribers on this mailing list.  If you
could imagine a town hall meeting with 2,000+ physical people in the
room all with voices you can imagine how difficult it can be to keep
discussion efficient.  That is why trimming excess words is so
important.  It makes it easier for people to read and understand the
message.  If they can read and understand then you are much more
likely to receive a high quality reply in return.

> With respect to reporting the issue as a bug I started down that path using
> Reportbug, but noticed that a similar issue (not quite the same, or maybe I
> just didn't understand it fully), so I wanted to discuss it first. Thanks
> for providing that opportunity.

Please feel welcome to discuss problems such as you have found on this
mailing list.  We are mostly all simple users of the Debian system.
A few are developers.  Have some patience.  You may get answers or
help that is better or worse on different days.

> It does work in other Linux distros that I have tried.

If it works anywhere then it should be possible to learn why and/or
why not and to transfer that knowledge.

The other distro may have done something unique and special there to
make it work.  The task is then to figure this out and make it
available in Debian.

> "VLC is unable to open the MRL" (I have more detailed debug output if
> needed).

That makes sense to me.  With the username and password it can then
access the media.

> When I do this, it will work, but I have to do it for every file I add to
> the play list.

I understand that can be quite the pain.  :-(

> Rhythm Box appears to work just fine.

How would Rhythm Box know what your smb username and password would be?

> I'm not overly concerned about the issue which is why I wanted to discuss it
> before I submitted any official bug (that would obviously be low priority).
> I noticed Debian bug #602985 appears quite similar (it's about getting VLC
> to prompt for smb credentials), but I'm not sure if it's exactly the same.
>
> Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. This may
> seem a little trivial, but it's my first serious foray into Linux, just a
> couple of days old, and rather than run from issues I want to learn not only
> how to tackle the issues, but the processes that go along with Debian in
> general.

I don't have any knowledge of either of the two areas needed.  I don't
know about smb shares.  I don't know about vlc using remote media
through smb shares.  Sorry I can't help there.  And I don't see other
help on this issue.  (At least not yet).

I suggest that you post a new message to the mailing list.  (I will be
specific about it being a NEW message.  If you reply to any mailing
list message then your reply will be threaded below it.  Since Outlook
does not handle message threads most Outlook users don't realize that
replying to start a new message causes threading problems.  That
creates a situation known as thread stealing or thread hijacking.  To
avoid that simply start a new message every time you have a new topic.)

I suggest that you post a new message to the mailing list.  Pick a
good short concise subject.  In this case I would definitely mention
both VLC and SMB shares and password in the subject.  There is no
right answer but just to get the thought processes going I will
suggest something like:

  VLC password in SMB shares URL?

You want to attract the attention of people who are knowledgeable
about those things.  It is in your interest to choose the subject to
make it clear to those people so that they will choose to read your
message.

This current thread is not good because those people not interested in
web forums have already skipped over it.  Remember that there are
2,000+ people on the list.  Meaning that there are a lot of postings.
Not every posting will interest everyone.  At some point everyone is
going to be skipping a lot of messages.  Connecting you and them
together needs good subject lines.

And also good editor skills of trimming out unneeded excess quoting.
Be brutal with removing excess quotes!  Personally I would rather see
no previous quoted material rather than bad full quoting.  Want to see
what the message looks like to other people?  Take a look at it in the
mailing list archive.  If it is hard for you to read then it will be
hard for other people to read too.

Contrast that to this message in the archive.  I have brutally trimmed
the quotes to just the points to which I am replying.

  [🔎] 20150109151004514416184.NoCcsPlease@bob.proulx.com">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 20150109151004514416184.NoCcsPlease@bob.proulx.com

Include error messages verbatim.  Include them as text.  (Another bad
thing often seen is when people try to post images of the text of the
error message.  Shudder!  The plain text can be searched for and
quoted.  Always post just the plain text.)

Give it a go.  Good luck!

Bob