RE: Unable to join the Debian User Forum; appears that all IPs are being black-listed.

> Sorry, Wayne.  I have done it yet again.  Clicked "reply" in the Debian
list.
> I should have pressed "l" and replied to the list, not you personally.
> :-(
> Lisi
>
> Hi, Wayne,
>
> Welcome to Debian!   Good choice!  And also welcome to the list.

Thank you. So far I am liking what I see.

> On Friday 09 January 2015 06:07:52 Wayne Hartell wrote:
> > Thanks. I'm sure to violate some conventions here in reply format or
> > what have you. Just let me know if I do and I'll try to remedy in
future.

> You have a basic underlying problem:  Your email client does not quote
> correctly.  I had a look.  You are running Outlook.  All I can say is: bad
luck!  But
> your quoting is a bit of a mess and I tried to sort it out for my reply,
but it is too
> early in the morning (I am on GMT and had a late night.).  So we all just
have to
> be patient.  Most of us have been there, done that and got the T-shirt.
There
> are lots of super Linux email clients out there.

Yes, you're right I am using Outlook since I've signed up to this list on a
virtual machine that is configured for taking on the road for my work. I
haven't yet taken a look at Evolution and others e-mail clients, but I fear
that I'll be stuck on Outlook for a little while longer, until I convince
myself to make a permanent switch. Hopefully this is a little better in
terms of what is expected on the list. I edited a couple of settings to try
to improve things.

> Once you are on a civilised email client, bottom posting, or even better,
> interleaving, is preferred.  With suitable trimming, of course. (Which I
am not
> very good at myself.)

I'm sure I'll take a while to look anything but amateur.

> > Now, the problem [snip] is that
> > when I attempt to play an mp3 file using vlc, where that mp3 file is
> > located on a password protected Windows share, vlc fails to play the
file.

> > "VLC is unable to open the MRL" (I have more detailed debug output if
> > needed).
> >
> > Now, I have tried a newer version of VLC from the backports (2.1.2 I
> > think), and it did not help.

> > When I do this, it will work, but I have to do it for every file I add
> > to the play list.
> >
> > Rhythm Box appears to work just fine.
> [snip]
> >
> > Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. This
> > may seem a little trivial,
>
> If you use vlc frequently and it does this every time, that is not
trivial!!

> I can't really be any help at all, since I don't use vlc and have no
Windows in the
> house so don't use Samba, but you only had one reply and it didn't feel
very
> welcoming.

Agreed; it's not trivial if that's what you are trying to do. Right now
listening to music is not high on my agenda; it just jumped out at me as
something that should probably work off the bat, especially when there seems
to be no other samba related issues. I may end up just logging the issue
when I am confident I understand the process and am not just wasting other
people's time.

Cheers,
Wayne.