Re: _COMPLETE_ instructions for debootstrap &/or multistrap

On 1/8/15, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> I'm attempting to do some heavily customized installs.
> It was suggested I investigate debootstrap.
> While researching that I came across multistrap.
>
> The man pages and tutorials I've found so far demonstrate gaps in
> my background.
> The material I'm looking for would likely have been prepared for
> formal coursework.

This is the third rewrite of this email.. *gah* :)

Ok. Definitely agree with you in your lament. I fought for MONTHS to
finally go from a successful debootstrap to an installed not just
Wheezy but Jessie, too.. *yayhoo!*

I saw... the other email... to you.. Agree there, too. What exactly
are you trying to do that what you're finding is not working *so far*?

Like I said, I fully understand. My first successful debootstrap sat
dead in the water for MONTHS last year.. Like six or more because I
was in your Shoes with respect to understanding chroot... The cure
there turned out to be pretty much as simple as... *gasp*.. chroot
when all was said and done. That information just never presented at
the right time and in the right place, train of thought, etc.....

As an aside and yet really directly related, my complaints and
observations a while back about the seeming uptick in people having
trouble with incompatibility became more clear in the last few weeks.
There's some what *FEELS LIKE* bad advice running around out there
about how to bind and mount while working with chroot to complete the
rest of a system install. Won't explain everyone's incompatibility
issues, but it sure as heck explained mine.

So.

Whoever authored THIS PAGE RIGHT HERE became my latest Hero recently:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/s390/apds03.html.en

See where that gets you.... It's gotten me some GREAT success so far.

Disclaimer: I've had to bypass the top couple page turns because they
speak outside my grasp just now.. Instead of that information, I've
still been using what's gotten me through the initial deboostrap'ing
successfully.

Will be reinstalling Jessie yet again, maybe even tonight.. don't
ask.. so I'll be attempting those first couple page turns on purpose
this time as a conscious next step up the ladder in understanding all
this... shtuff.. If you're new to this, don't to do what I've been
doing. Instead work that page top to bottom, and research what you
need to in order to do it as they've outlined there. In hindsight, I
can see the benefit of following every single step in order as it
applies to or needs altered slightly to fit each, our own singular
install instances.

That's all I've got right now. Hope that helps *at least a little*.. Good luck!

PS Got any questions on that... shtuff... please so do NOT try asking

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey
\Talking Rock, Pickens County, Georgia, USA

* runs with plastic sporks *