Re: debhelper stripping debugging symbols

On Tue, 06 Jan 2015, Kip Warner wrote:
> I am trying to debianize a personal package for native compilation. I
> packaged it using the debhelper 7 syntax as aided with dh_make.
>
> After customizing my debian/* metadata and scripts, I noticed that
> dh_strip is still stripping debugging symbols from my executable, even
> though debian/rules sets DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nostrip. The flag appears to
> be totally ignored, or perhaps clobbered later?
>
>         build log:
>            dh_strip
>         	strip --remove-section=.comment --remove-section=.note debian/my-tool/usr/bin/my-tool
>            dh_makeshlibs
>         	rm -f debian/my-tool/DEBIAN/shlibs
>
> My debian/rules below. Any help appreciated
>
>         <http://pastebin.com/4LL9dCCS>

This line:

export DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=

sets DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS to "", which isn't what you want.

Furthermore, it's bad practice to set DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS in debian/rules,
and you really don't need to set any of the other variables you're
setting in debian/rules, either, nor do you need to include
/usr/share/dpkg/default.mk, because dh knows how to do all of that
itself, too.

Finally, your debian/rules is missing a #!/usr/bin/make -f, which means
that it isn't going to work at all.

I really wanted to talk to her.
I just couldn't find an algorithm that fit.
 -- Peter Watts _Blindsight_ p294