Re: upgrade from wheezy to jessie

On 06/01/15 13:48, Gerard ROBIN wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 01:27:35PM +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 13:27:35 +0100
>> From: Tony van der Hoff <tony@vanderhoff.org>
>> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>> Subject: Re: upgrade from wheezy to jessie

>>> https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#systemd-upgrade-default-init-system
>>>
>>> An alternative for you is to install sysvinit-core after updating but
>>> before upgrading.
>>>

>> There's an awful lot of FUD spread on the internet (and, sadly, even on
>> this list), mostly engendered by bigotry against the systemd author(s).
>>
>> My advice would be to go with the minimum effort upgrade, as you would
>> have done in the past. I've been running Jessie in a KVM client for
>> several months now, with zero problems.
>
> I agree with you regarding jessie, I installed it on a USB drive and
> it works fine with systend, but but what concerns me is the transition
> from sysvinit to systemd on wheezy. If I understand what I read on the
> web (in English ...) it may be that my machine will not boot if I do
> not do the job well.

I've not heard that, except maybe in very old reports.
I think the installer has now reached a stage of maturity to avoid such
pit-falls, and will, presumably, mature more until the release. I'd then
be inclined to wait for a month or two before upgrading, to allow it to
gain even more maturity. I would expect all to go smoothly.

--
Tony van der Hoff  | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Ariège, France     |