Re: alternatives for a proprietary lib file

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015, Sam Halliday wrote:
> I have a license for the Intel Math Kernel Library which has a file
>
>   /opt/intel/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_rt.so
>
> that provides a lot of interfaces, such as BLAS/CBLAS (i.e.
> libblas.so.3) and LAPACK (i.e. liblapack.so.3).
>
> I'd like to be able to use the Debian alternatives system to point at
> this file, without having to manually create symbolic links.
>
> Does anybody know how I can do this? Much of the documentation I have
> found is related to usage of alternatives, not the creation of a new
> alternative for a file.
>
> Ideally, it would be nice to be able to create a little .deb package
> that simply provides the option to use this library as an alternative
> and to give it the highest priority.

Alternatives are not the correct tool for this.  Take a look at the
dpkg-divert stuff, divert the original libs, and add a symlink in their
place.

I think another (likely safer) way to do this would be to create a directory
somewhere with symlinks for all libraries you want to replace (pointing to
the intel ones), and add it first in the ld.so path.  Never did this,
though.

Anyway, whatever you do, do it in a chroot first.  If you get it wrong, you
could render the system unusable.

  Henrique Holschuh