alternatives for a proprietary lib file

Hi all,

I have a license for the Intel Math Kernel Library which has a file

  /opt/intel/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_rt.so

that provides a lot of interfaces, such as BLAS/CBLAS (i.e.
libblas.so.3) and LAPACK (i.e. liblapack.so.3).

I'd like to be able to use the Debian alternatives system to point at
this file, without having to manually create symbolic links.

Does anybody know how I can do this? Much of the documentation I have
found is related to usage of alternatives, not the creation of a new
alternative for a file.

Ideally, it would be nice to be able to create a little .deb package
that simply provides the option to use this library as an alternative
and to give it the highest priority.

Best regards,
Sam