Re: Need a calculator that knows about coulombs

<pipatron@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> http://electronics.stackexchange.com/
> >>
> >> Hope this helps.
> >
> > Stackexchange does seem to be the default mail list for a lot of
> > off-list support these days.
> >
> > Also, would something like this help?
> >
> >     joel@joelsbox:~$ bc -l
> >     bc 1.06.95
> >     Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2006 Free Software
> > Foundation, Inc.
> >     This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> >     For details type `warranty'.
> >
> >     # code follows
> >     define vc(vs,t,r,c) {
> >     return vs * (1-e(-t/(r*c)))
> >     }
> >
> >     # use follows
> >     for ( i=0.0; i<5.0; i += 0.1 ) { print i, ":", vc(120,i,83,.01
> > ), "\n" } 0:0
> >     .1:13.62082702075229745240
> >     .2:25.69559630209412900880
> >     .3:36.39979605263053873920
> >     .4:45.88899535985331237480
>
> You said 51 ohm resistor, and t would make more sense than i, so make
> that
>
>     for ( t=0.0; t<5.0; t += 0.1 ) { print t, ": ", vc(120,t,51,.01 ),
> "\n" }

The 51 ohm resistor is the surge limiter R, in series with the psu
primary windings for a few seconds at powerup.  Has zero to do with this
other than the SSR's triggered by this will turn the thing on and at
some time after the psu's filters are charged, bypass the R with another
identical SSR, a chinese equ to a 40 amp crydom block of epoxy.

The load R for these two identical circuits is 100k Ohms, to get a
reasonable turnoff time when the 500 hz excitation stops.

> And you could calculate the power and current in the loop and print
> that, as well.
>
> > The -l option brings in the library, I don't remember if you needed
> > that for the power of e function, e(), but it doesn't hurt.
> >
> > I refreshed my memory on the R time constant, and the associated
> > calculus (which you can mostly ignore) here:
>
> heh.
>
> "RC time constant"
>
> mea culpa
>
> >     http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/rc/rc_1.html
> >     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_time_constant
> >
> > I'll try to play with your circuit using qucs on openbsd to see if I
> > can shed some light on that. Too bad we don't have a debian package
> > between squeeze (was it?) and sid.

I'd still like to make qucs work, just to learn how to run that puppy,
but what hardware I have pasted together right now, looks as if it will
do the job.

Thanks Joel.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)