Re: Debian using USB stick on diskless machine

David, thanks for the suggestions.

I think if I had run debian installer from one flash drive and
installed onto another flash drive things would have gone more
smoothly.

I managed to get things mostly working.  It was extremely ugly.  I'll
try to post full details later, but basically
inserted USB stick in my main machine
overwrote start with zero's to wipe out traces of the boot for the
iso, which seemed to make grub-install unwilling to do anything.
chroot into the disk, edit grub's device map, and install.
Then I stuck the stick in the diskless machine and booted; there were
a bunch of errors in the early boot process about missing files, but
the system started.  I reran update-initramfs and update-grub and
rebooted.

Things seem mostly OK, although there are weird vestigas of the live
cd, like update-initramfs is linked to live-update-initramfs.

The system is a bit sluggish; maybe ext4 on lvm wasn't the best choice for it.
Ross