Re: KTorrent: Turn off computer when finished

<allanaguilar@riseup.net> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Is there a way to set up KTorrent in a way that the computer turns
> >> off when all downloads are complete?
> >
> > Hi Allan,
> >
> > If you go to the "View" menu, there should be a "Plugins" option.
> > One of the plugins is "Shutdown" that does what you are looking for.
> >
> > Brandon Vincent
>
> That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, Brandon. I really
> appreciate it.

It should be mentioned that the torrent worked as well as it did because
others did NOT do that, but left their machines running so that your
machine could pull snippets from theirs, thereby effectively multiplying
the original source sites available bandwidth by the upload bandwidth
each site has times the number of sites shareing the torrent, which in
turn made your download quite a few times faster.  Shutting your machine
off slows the torrent for others, and this isn't fair, nor the FOSS
attitude.  You gained from using the torrent, you should pay it back.

This process actually began, your machine sharing back what it has of the
requested file, after the first 64 kilobytes had been pulled and stored
on your machine.  That isn't a full explanation of coarse because the
torrent is a random access protocol, and theoretically the first 64k
block your machine receives, could in fact haver a small chance of being
the last 64k of the file.  A torrent tracks where the individual block
goes in the file, taking any block advertised by others that it needs
until it has every piece of the file and gets the same crc check value
as the source had, on a per 64k packet.  Any missing pieces can be
requested, and whoever has it will send it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)