Re: Attempt to Move Root

>> David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
>> > Edited newroot/etc/fstab and newroot/etc/lilo.conf to point root to
>> > newrootpartition (by uuid)
>>
>> Have you tried getting rid of the UUID crap in both newroot/etc/fstab and
>> newroot/etc/lilo.conf, and mount them the old way, as /dev/something ?
>>

> Could do this, but only is his "deprecated" and not recommended anywhere else,
> but my goal is to remove and older 80gig IDE disk from the system. As soon as
> I unplug it, those /dev/somethings are invalid. Which is why using UUID is
> recommended.

This is correct, and there should be no problem using UUID, but if you
actually have your devices on LVM logical volumes, then it is IMO
safer to use something like /dev/vg00/rootfs instead of UUID. Safer
for at least two reasons:
1) Less chance of copying the wrong UUID to fstab
2) Taking a snapshot of the filesystem (duplicate UUIDs) won't confuse the boot

However, if your new root is not on LVM, this advice does not apply. :)