Re: no response from listmaster

On Tue 15 Dec 2015 at 11:49:49 -0500, Bob Bernstein wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2015, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>
> >>Now, what do you prefer: being plonked or being ordered to do things?
> >
> >Being plonked.  Any day.  Feel free to plonk me any time. But issuing
> >orders is likely to get an adverse reaction.
> >
> >Agreed, Bob?
>
> Absolutely! Mais certainement! In short, nobody likes being *told* what to
> do.

I'm going to quote the whole of the mail you sent which started this
subthread:

 > Surely your neuroscience teaching, and other professional duties, at UC and
 > elsewhere keep you sufficiently busy so that you shouldn't really have to
 > pester Debian volunteers trying to keep the massive Debian mailing lists
 > system up and running. You have what appears to be a perfectly serviceable
 > uc.edu personal email account. I understand how attached you must be to
 > syrano, your personal linux server, but please try to get and keep some
 > perspective on all this. You are having difficulties of a strictly personal
 > nature that in now way merit the time of Debian listadmins.

The first sentence is gratuitous ad hominem. The tone and phrasing make
it evident that you think the OP has no justification for posting here.
Why not just tell him to piss off because he is wasting our time?

Then a lecture is launched. It would be hard to say where perspective
has lost here; many difficulties recounted on this list are "personal"
to the user.

All that tomási reasonably said was:

 > Woah. Calm down a bit.

That is polite and succinct enough to clue someone in to responding as
though they are not seated on a high horse.

> And, yes, there is something sophomoric about plonking someone but telling
> them about it first. In the Usenet heydays of killfiles, that was not as a
> rule how it was done.

The boot continues to be put in. Just bought them - or are they new?

Meanwhile, the OP has reached a solution to his problem. Pestering us
appears to have its benefits. Just think, your response might have edged
him towards it. :)

[Sorry - the first two words of the last sentence form an imperative].