Re: My web site is back

On 09/12/15 02:58, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 11:15:50AM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
>
>> Old site: h t t p : / / u s e r s . w o w w a y . c o m / ~ z l i n u
>> x m a n /
>>
>> New site: http://www.stevesdebianstuff.org/
>>
>> If you have bookmarks set for the old site you should update your
>> bookmarks. Some pages from the old site are not on the new site
>> because I judged them to be obsolete.
>
> To which, the venerable W3C replied "Cool URIs don't change":
> http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html

The W3C clearly haven't considered the case of a hosting provider
pulling the plug on a customer.

The same happened to countless Geocities users years ago.

I had to change uRLs myself just recently.  I had my own hosting, but
used a free dynamic DNS service (yi.org) to provide the hostname.  That
was set up years ago when I had no income and was at university.

They started acting up this year, with failed DNS resolution issues, and
a management site that was really misbehaving badly.  I now earn an
income, so I figured it was high time for me to move.  Hence the new domain.

In my case, I was fortunate the old domain still intermittently worked
(and still does work), and so I was able to put the redirects in place.
 Had yi.org just folded altogether however, I'd be stuck in the same way
that Stephen was.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...