Re: apt-get error messages

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 11:27:15AM -0500, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Tony van der Hoff <tony@vanderhoff.org> wrote:
> > On 08/12/15 13:41, Chris Bannister wrote:
> >
> >> *groan* *sigh* ... I wonder why there's not a 'dpkg
> >> --print-architectures' which prints out *all* the architectures it knows
> >> about.
> >>
> > Because you haven't written it yet?
>
> IMHO this is an inappropriate response. Not all users can be expected
> to write software and submit patches. It is one thing to ask them to
> file a wishlist bug, it is another thing to demand a patch from every
> user who suggests a way to improve user experience.

I was approaching the issue more from a design perspective (I
could/should have left out the '*groan* *sigh* ...' and may be it would
have read better?)

e.g.

--print-architecture  lists the current, and
--print-foreign-architectures lists the extras

and no doubt (on reflexion) it was a consious decision not to also have
a '--print-architectures' for all of them. I guess,
'--print-architecture' which lists the one which dpkg was built for has
more value being a separate option so that when used in a scripting context
you won't get confused just because of an 's'.

Perhaps there could be an option --print-all-architectures which would
save having to concatenating the output of '--print-architecture' and
'--print-foreign-architectures'? Is it used/needed by the end user often
enough to warrant it? e.g. is it asked of a poster to debian-user regularly
enough?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X