Re: Meld in Jessie: how to not install all the insane dependencies

It looks like the meld package wants to install a full desktop with all the bells and whistles on my headless server.

So the question is: what is the best way to install meld without all the cruft?

I finally did install the previous version 1.6.1-1 (from Debian 7 Wheezy).

I only needed few dependencies, and it is actually much better than the version currently in Jessie. (I use meld over remote ssh X sessions, and the Jessie version of meld does something which prevents me from getting to the menu, saving references, etc.)

The old version is perfect for my needs. If others have the same problem I had, here is what I did:

# wget http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/pool/main/m/meld/meld_1.6.1-1_all.deb

# apt-get install python-gtk2 python-glade2 python-gobject-2

      libglade2-0 liblapack3 python-cairo python-numpy
   Suggested packages:
      python-gtk2-doc python-gobject-2-dbg gfortran python-dev python-nose
   python-numpy-dbg python-numpy-doc
      libglade2-0 liblapack3 python-cairo python-glade2 python-gobject-2 python-gtk2
   python-numpy

# dpkg -i meld_1.6.1-1_all.deb

That's all.