Re: Recent linux-image update broke CPU fan

On Sun, 2015-11-29 at 17:18 -0500, Neal P. Murphy wrote:
> > If this was on a stable system it seems odd, if it was unstable or
> > testing it might just be one of the "charms" of running something
> > that
> > is in development.
>
> Jessie: stable.

That is odd, but probably easier to track down on a stable system (if
it is a software problem)

> As of 28 November 2015, the latest update to linux-image-3.16.0-4
> -amd64 versus the previous update. I think the latest update is:
>     linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64_3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u6_amd64.deb
> and the previous is probably ...deb8u5.... So how do I tell it to
> uninstall 'u6' and install 'u5'?

There's nothing in the changelog that indicates any changes when it
comes to fans, at least as far as I can tell.

You should be able to just grab the older package from
snapshot.debian.net and manually install (downgrade) it.

http://snapshot.debian.org/binary/linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64/

> I can live with "It's a coincidence." A lot of things can change; the
> obvious one was the recent kernel update, thus my query. If the
> latest changes/patches to 3.16 are well away from sensors and
> drivers, then the kernel update probably is not the cause and I
> should look elsewhere (like checking the capacitors on the M5A99FX
> mainboard; there are probably still some bad caps floating around.)

Yes, trying earlier kernels is probably a good idea, and possibly other
parts that might have changed, libsensor, lm-sensor? Or what it is that
fancontrol uses.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson