Re: two pulseaudio processes

Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 12:33:33PM +0100, Mart van de Wege wrote:
>> Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> writes:

>> > If you purge pulseaudio, does everything work as you want?
>> >

>> Look, either there is a bug in play here or a misconfiguration. Purging
>> pulseaudio is merely papering over a problem, it's not a solution.
>
> Listen, sound was working fine for me but after an upgrade sound stopped
> working. I found pulseaudio installed so I purged it and sound worked
> again, so sorry but it is a solution.

And OP has no problem with sound under pulseaudio, as long as there is
only one instance running. Since there is supposed to be only one
instance, blindly purging pulseaudio is cargo-cult troubleshooting.

>> > If you actually need pulseaudio, then I'd report the bug against the
>> > pulseaudio package.
>>
>> Given that parent apparently wants to be able to switch between normal
>> sound output and a headset, I'd say it is fairly obvious there is a need
>> for pulseaudio, as that is one of its use cases.
>
> *sigh* I can listen to audio via a headset or the internal speakers
> without pulseaudio so I don't know what you are implying.

With a bluetooth headset like OP? I doubt it.

I am not implying, I am stating right out you are projecting an
irrational dislike of pulseaudio on OPs problem, which is *NOT* helpful.

Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.