[SOLVED] Re: installing Debian on USB flash drive for use in many machines

On 11/28/2015 01:30 PM, Joe wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 12:37:12 -0800 David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
Any ideas?

There's one suggestion: if you install i386/486/whatever it should also run on 32-bit hardware.

If and when I get this working, I may very well set up another USB flash drive with Debian 8 i386 (686/PAE, as I understand it).

On the desk in front of me at this very moment is a USB stick with an
i386 sid installation. ... odd networking problem. It boots up fine
on my netbook and laptop, but on my main desktop, it has no Ethernet
connection after booting...

Why you may be barking up the wrong tree is that all the software is
there, but the Ethernet interface is not being brought up. DHCP on my
network is not being used, though the DHCP client is installed. If I
bring up the interface manually with a suitable IP address, all is
well. Try that exercise in your situation, my assumption would be that
if you can bring it up manually then you have the right drivers
installed. By manually I mean using ifconfig or other networking
software, without the need to bring in any extra modules with modprobe.

Interesting suggestion. After messing around a bit, I discovered that /etc/network/interfaces had a stance for eth0 from i72600s, but i72720qm assigns eth1 to the wired Ethernet port when it works (I assume eth0 is assigned to WiFi, but I haven't dealt with the non-free firmware yet). Adding a stance for eth1 and restarting networking was the solution. Ethernet now comes up at boot time on both machines.

Thank you.  :-)

David