Re: Slow Display of Graphics in Chrome

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015, Alan Chandler wrote:

> On 27/11/15 23:52, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Nov 2015, Alan Chandler wrote:
> >
> >> Just recently, I notice a sudden slowing down of the display of
> >> areas of the screen in Chrome when it fully maximised ( but still
> >> with toolbar etc on display)
> >>
> >> I am running a dual monitor gnome 3 setup with intel display
> >> driver.
> >>
> >> Quite frequently, but not predictably so (say once every few
> >> minutes) Chrome, when displaying a web page whilst fully maximized
> >> gets very slow and displays blocks of the screen but then hangs
> >> for a few seconds before continuing with some more and hanging
> >> again.
> >>
> >> You can stop it doing this by dragging the toolbar down from the
> >> fully maximized position.  I don't think I have seen it when not
> >> fully maximized.
> >>
> >> Anyone else experiencing the same?
> > Not here.  Just as fast maximized (1920x1080) or less than max'd
> > which is the norm for me. But I'm not using Gnome, only a window
> > manager Openbox on Wheezy 64-bit.
> >
> > How much RAM on your graphic card?  How much total system RAM?
> >
> > B  .
> >

> This information seems harder to find than ever.  lscpi says I have
> either 4M (non prefetchable) or 256M (prefetchable) memory, but its
> an Intel driver which takes from main memory, of which I have 16G

Do you have a dedicated graphics card or are you using graphics on the
motherboard?  If using a dedicated graphics card, check that any
graphics on the motherboard is turned off.

Check you driver settings.  Do you have acceleration turned on, etc?

Got 3D enabled like for gaming, etc?

> I tried looking in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but that hasn't been touched
> since before I got the new monitors.  My guess is gnome is using
> wayland (from the various switches I can see in htop)
>
> I don't think its the display directly, I only experience the issue
> in Chrome

Try turning off one of the monitors or better configure your system for
one monitor, and see if the problem persists.

This doesn't happen with any other browser?  And only with Chrome when
its display is full-screen?  What plugins/extensions do you have
installed in Chrome?

Do you have any torrents or file sharing software running?