Re: install udpxy.1.0.23

Hi,

Chris Bannister wrote:
> Ummm, whenever anyone has a question about packaging and they ask on the
> debian-user list, they invariably get sent to the debian-mentor list

I first thought the message was from debian-user when i
saw it. Only after i had a look at the content of the
tarball i noticed that it was from debian-mentors (and thus
possibly about an aspect i didn't understand).

If it had been from debian-user, i had answered that one
needs packages "tar", "gcc", and "make" and should not get
distracted too much by the exotic build options on
  http://www.udpxy.com/howtos-en.html
Just "make". No CC=, no "make" target.
Execute where built, or run as superuser: make install

Creating a Debian package would be an adventure that is
more demanding.

(Note that the correct mail address for advise with packaging is
   debian-mentors@lists.debian.org
 i.e. "mentors" in plural, not "mentor" in singular.)

Alex Vong wrote:
> > $ apt-get install build-essential

I will try to memorize this one.
But maybe one should change the first statement in the package
  https://packages.debian.org/sid/build-essential

  "If you do not plan to build Debian packages, you don't
   need this package."

(It is so odd to have to assume GNU/Linux without C compiler
 stuff. That's like having no shell. Semi-androidly.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas