Re: boot takes too long (swap?)

Pascal Hambourg composed on 2015-11-27 00:19 (UTC+0100):

> Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI composed:

>>> If you try to boot without removing that USB stick or powering down that USB
>>> HD you forgot was connected, /dev/sda6 may get you a very similar hang,
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>> because of the stick or external enumerated as sda instead of the internal
>>> HD. By LABEL and by UUID both avoid that risk.

> I agree for UUID. I would be more careful about LABEL, as it is easier
> to create duplicates.

Not a big enough difference to overpower the incovenience that can result
when a UUID gets obliterated.

>> No risk: when I want to boot from the USB I do it (F8 at boot) from
>> the Grub installed on the USB.

That's what happens when you *want*, not when you forgot, or didn't know your
other half or kid stuck one in or flipped the switch on, or a "smart" one
auto-powers up on reboot.

> You didn't get the point. The disk naming order is random by nature and
> has nothing to do with the boot order.

While your point is valid, you may have missed my same point.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/