Re: boot takes too long (swap?)

El 26/11/15 a las 09:04, Bruno Schneider escribió:
I have a notebook with Debian testing (Stretch) that suddenly started
going through long (4 min) boots.

Something disk intensive stops the boot process for more than 3 miinutes.

Looking at dmesg, I see a large time gap here:

[   20.661252] Adding 4208992k swap on /dev/sda1.  Priority:-1
extents:1 across:4208992k FS
[  196.805214] EXT4-fs (sda4): mounting ext3 file system using the
ext4 subsystem

So, it looks like swap is taking a long to mount. I checked my fstab,
and the swap line is:

UUID=d30ec1b1-0dab-455d-a7b1-51ca86631bc2 none            swap    sw
            0       0

The UUID is correct. The swap partition is working after boot.

Can anyone help on how to investigate further?

One _possible_ source of this anomaly (not very likely, continue looking) is that the hard disk has non-remapped damaged sectors; reading them is much slower. A scan triggered using smartctl from smartmontools will tell you whether this is the case.

Also try disabling the space swap, filling it with zero bytes (using dd), rebuilding the swap space (with mkswap) and re-enabling it.