Re: /dev/block ???

On 2015-11-26, Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:
> Ed Jabbour <ejbr@att.net> wrote:
>> Ran df -hT, and along with the usual partitions there's this:
>
>> /dev/block/8:3 ext4       12G  4.1G  7.3G  36% /
>
>> I have never seen that before.  What is it?
>
> major:minor 8:3 would be /dev/sda3
>
> See for yourself in /dev/block, it should contain symlinks to the real
> devices.
>
> Why udev creates those symlinks and what use they may have: I don't have
> a clue, I am as surprised as you.

My guess would be that the purpose is to be able to find the
canonical name of a device given only the device number (i.e. the
information available from stat)

See also /dev/char.

Why this is showing up this way in df is a different question.
Does / also show up as /dev/sda3? Maybe it was mounted by the
kernel and doesn't show up in /etc/mtab or /etc/fstab. How does
the df command enumerate filesystems? What does fstab and mtab
look like? Is the root device specified on the kernel command
line e.g. root=0x0803?