Java (aka icedtea) plugin for iceweasel, settings

I can pass options to java programs by setting the environment variable
JAVA_ARGS.  This works by ultimately passing the contents of the
variable on the command line to the java runtime binary, such as
/usr/bin/java; well behaved packages do this themselves by using the
shell functions in java-wrappers.

This is all great, but what about the java web applets, run by the
browser plugin (in my case, the icedtea-6-plugin for iceweasel)?  As far
as I know this doesn't use the runtime binary, and even if it did it
wouldn't know to apply the extra options from JAVA_ARGS.  So can I
control the java runtime options for applets in any way?  Googling for
the relevant terms tends to bring up something called Java Control
Panel, with instructions where to find such a thing on Windoze and Mac.
But nothing about Debian, and indeed a search on packages.debian.org for
a package file "ControlPanel" shows nothing promising.

Right now my JAVA_ARGS is as follows but I expect it to grow.

JAVA_ARGS="-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on -Dswing.aatext=true"