missing bits of graphicsmagick-dev in Jessie?

I've been trying to build a fresh version of xastir (Ham Radio APRS) in Raspbian Jessie and in Kubuntu 15.10, (both Debian derivatives), with near-identical failures. I'm using a CVS script that uses apt-get to install all dependencies and source, then configures, builds and installs xastir. Both systems have built successfully to date (Raspbian Wheezy and Kubuntu up to 15.04) but now with Jessie basics underlying their ./configure process reports:
checking for WriteImage in -lGraphicsMagick... no
   ... with consequent inability to draw raster maps.
The common factor is the Debian system basis. I hope this points to a useful course of action.

Hopefully helpfully,
Dex, ZL2DEX

---