Re: No sound - seeking ideas

On 11/19/2015 10:33 AM, David Parfitt wrote:
[This mail was also posted to linux.debian.user.]

Thx for responding, Charlie.

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 13:30:03 +0100, Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 10:38:51 +0000 David Parfitt sent:

Hi all:
I've newly bought a laptop (details at end) & installed Jessie 8.2.
All's well except that I have no sound.  I've done quite a lot of
online research but got nowhere.  I'm looking for ANY other practical
ideas, please.

Sound is a never ending problem with Debian. It's just the way it is, so
I have found it.

I never have before.  It's always 'just worked'.  Haven't had a new
laptop for some time, though.

Try alsamixer and press F6 and if you have the option of a couple of
sound cards try each one. But it may not stick if you reboot.

Done & done ... only 'default' and 'HDA Intel PCH' available (and "enter
device name")

Try pulseaudio, you don't always need to use pavucontrol, that works
sometimes but after a reboot it also may fail. Then uninstall it and try
again without and that may work.

I've often noticed recommendations to uninstall pulseaudio but never seen
a case where it has been reported to work :)  apt-get purge pulseaudio
wants to take gnome & lots of other stuff with it :((

Sometimes your headphone jack works and sometimes it doesn't so you play
around with alsamixer and pulseaudio and you can possibly get it
working. I haven't been able to recently.

And so it goes ..

For what it is worth, I have both pulse and my user ric added to the audio group in /etc/group. Trouble shooting with a shotgun again. Sometimes I get lucky! Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html